Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Being a Father


So, I got this book for Father's Day that I have been reading. It called "Wisdom of Our Fathers" by Tim Russert. It contains various stories he has collected about people's memories of their fathers and the good things they have done or been. I really enjoy it...for two, no, three reasons. One, because it's heartwarming, funny, and full of stories about good people. Second, because it has caused me to think about the relationship I have with my father. My dad has always been a hard worker, sometimes too hard. Despite that, I always remember him being at sporting events, band performances, and other activities. He has been a great example of a priesthood holder for me, and faithfully fulfills his callings. I am proud and grateful for that. Yet, my father and I haven't had what you would call an extremely close relationship. I confide in him about some things and stuff, but I don't cry on his shoulder. Maybe that's just the way relationships are between fathers and sons. I think we silently understand and appreciate each other, but aren't opening emotional. Last of all, the book has helped remind me how to be a good father myself (not that I'm not already :), but some pointers couldn't hurt). I really want to be this great super dad - supportive, kind, loving, diligent, and all that. There are so many qualities I'd like to espouse, but I don't know if I can do it all. I guess that is part of the difficulty of parenthood, attempting to do it all. Hopefully learning from others helps to ease the burden (maybe it's because we're sharing it?). Anyway, this whole topic is especially salient due to the fact that we're having another child in November. Crazy life... We are pretty excited. We don't know what it'll be yet, but I'm hoping for a girl. If it's a boy I won't mind either (sorry future son if you read this, you really will be cool). The only problem is we're having trouble coming up with good boy names. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Jonathan Canlas said...

you want another girl? I am hoping our next will be a set of twin boys. then we are done. as for names, how about joe stariani or tears for fears? or how about big head todd? especially if his head is big! We are naming our next boys Owen and Elias, or Eli for short. They will be cowboys and will perform in the Lehi Roundup Rodeo every year. It will be totally awesome!

Ra'anan said...

You're so weird dude. Don't put your sons through such misery. You were on the right track with the name Issac, but Owen & Eli? Sounds like a couple of red-neck hoosers. Oh wait, they will be cowboys though. Ok, go ahead I guess.

Aaron Walker said...

Dude- you're really sapping this blog up. Where's freakin tissue to wipe the tear from my sentimental eye?

Enough about all that- I was just checking out the family picture below and I can honestly say that while you may have a Master's degree, you've also rec'd about 25 lbs. Come on Fatty. Get a move on!

Ra'anan said...

More like 35 lbs. since '98 (the good years). Once I'm done with school you'll see, I'll be a lean machine