I was on internship interviews last time I blogged, which went well. I got a better feel from some places than others. Most of it was due to the interviews lasting a very short time, e.g. U of Arizona spent a total of 1.5 hours with me. What's that about? I fly all the way out there and I get 90 minutes? Maybe they had bigger fish to fry, anyways, don't care. The West Virginia trip, though, was a much better experience. I had a very good feeling about the place, and came away with a very good impression. Consequently I ranked it #1 in my rankings. Which surprisingly came fairly easy, other people have some difficulty in deciding I hear. This was my final ranking as of 2/7/07:
1. West Virginia University College of Medicine
2. University of Arizona College of Medicince
3. University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
4. Utah State Hospital
The place I was least excited about gave me the roughest time in the interview (Utah State Hospital). I was asked to interpret WAIS and MMPI protocols on the spot, as well as remember tiny details of research I did years ago. Sheesh, quite the drill. Anyways, as I said before, don't care it's all in the past. Once rankings were submitted, we had a wait of about 3 weeks, talk about sweating it out.
During the waiting period I attended the INS (International Neuropsychological Society) conference again, it was in Portland, OR this year. I had a really good time, I saw some folks from the BYU and visited with Dr. Bigler again. Tammy and Rich were there as well, it was fun hanging out with them. Mom and Dad came down from Quincy and we spent some time together. We went out to the Clacamus (sp?) Mall for the first time in like 14 years. We used to go there all the time when we vacationed in OR as kids. It has really changed, and it's pretty weird. We had a good time though eating ice cream and walking around. I bought a train whistle for Kelly and some local dude's pottery for Rachel. It was pretty cool stuff. While driving I realized I forgot how beautiful OR is, it's such a pretty place. I wouldn't mind moving back here when it's all said and done; that is, if the Mrs. doesn't mind. Well, the rest of the conference went well, I attended an ADHD seminar that was very well done by Dr. Shelley Heaton. I also went to a neuroimaging one moderated by Dr. Bigler on the importance of white matter. Us BYU kids went out to eat at this Thai restaurant "Typhoon" that was tasty, it's always nice that the BYU faculty pick up the bill on this one. On the last day I went to see my old mission companion, Brian Coleman. It had been several years, so it was fun catching up and seeing his wife and kids. Here are some pics of us looking good.


Speaking of looking good, we watched his wedding video during summer of '98. Walker and I went to it, so there was some footage of us. Holy crap I looked different, at least 25 pounds different. Talk about a motivation to loose some weight and get back into shape. Things sure are different now, anyways. Well, the trip was fun.
Now we are at the present, and it was a week ago that I was biting my fingernails to find out where we'd end up. I woke up really early on Monday morning to get the email (rumor was they arrived as early as 6:00am), and prepared myself for worse-case scenario. So here we are, all of us, in bed with my laptop ready to open the email, and....
it's West Virginia!!!
Needless to say we're excited, it's only for a year and it'll be fun. We'll, off to bed for me. I'll more on the site later.
No comments:
Post a Comment